Thursday, October 28, 2010

What the dog saw

 Here's a series of pictures of my dog, Miss Daisy. She's sitting well off the path while we wait for a man with two border collies to pass us. Daisy likes other dogs, she's just not very calm around them. I usually have her sit and wait for whoever else we see on the trail to walk on by. It's easier that way.

I usually have some pepperoni in my pocket to help me keep her attention. On this day, alas, I did not bring it with me, and so I couldn't get her to look at me instead of the very interesting animals going by.

It's okay. She's getting there. It's not that I worry about her so much, as I worry about other people's dogs. They're almost always off leash when we see them and whoever is walking them doesn't appear to have any control over them at all. If they're friendly dogs, no problem. But some of them are aggressive.

Daisy is not, but she's always on high alert when we meet anybody else. She hasn't learned yet not to jump up on strangers. This is my solution. If I have her sit to one side, people assume that she's aggressive and they put their dogs back on leash and walk carefully around us. It all works out.