Saturday, July 2, 2011

The quick brown fox(es) that got away

I could kick myself today because the camera needed new batteries, and rather than wait for them to finish charging, I left without it and wouldn't you know, I saw a pair of foxes out in the preserve today! They looked up as Daisy and I were walking towards them and then turned tail and disappeared into the scrub.

There is something very cat-like about a fox, not doggish at all. Are they more closely related to cats? I'll have to look it up and get back to you on it. But the upshot is I didn't get a shot because I didn't have my camera! So, here's a shot of a corn snake that I saw a couple weeks ago. Did you know that they're constrictors? I didn't, until I looked it up to see what kind of snake it was. Isn't it beautiful? The wavy line it makes lying on the ground is typical for them.